Thursday, June 14, 2012

Leaving Your Coat at the Door







I was driving home with my hubby this afternoon, just checking out twitter. When I first started blogging, I had a mission. I wanted to try and talk about what it felt like to be Hispanic and American at the same time. I kinda forgot about my reason, but I'm BACK! 

As I was reading my twitter feed tonight @nohablasespanol-- I am following lots of Latino causes, media, etc. I began to think... Do Latinos check their "Coat" at the door? Are we put into situations where we have to literally  can't be who we truly are. I know I've been in situations where I felt that I couldn't be who I really am because I was "Ashamed" or "Nervous others wouldn't accept me". When I first met my husbands family (BTW He's a Gringo) I think I did that. I've fallen victim of this before. I was afraid they wouldn't accept me. Fast Forward 7 years later and I don't have to do that. They accept me for who I am. I think we get so caught up in our minds worried about being accepted.

Maybe we subconsciously do it, we just "psych" ourselves out.  Paranoid of what others may think. Could it be that we are the only ones who feel we must be different to fit in?

This is just my rambling thoughts.... Has there ever been a time where YOU felt you had to do just that.... 

Thanks for Reading!! Please leave me a comment or two! 

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post and I can completely relate. My background is from different nationalities and my problem has always been about trying to figure out how to be able to relate to the two different worlds. There is the hispanic/native american side and there is the german side. I am of mixed nationality and it seems as if I can never be categorized into a particular group. I don't even bother explaining the complexity of my origins because I don't feel it matters. I am not ashamed but I feel that people try to associate with what they know since they are most comfortable with what they know and are afraid to step out of their element. Aww okay now I am rambling and might have gotten off topic a bit. Rosie just want to let you know that I have enjoyed reading this passage of yours.

    -Ruthy
    http://superfluousambitions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruthy!!

    I'm go glad you liked the post. Thanks for checking it out!! I was at an event once and this lady came up to me and said "Honey, I hope this doesn't offend you but are you Native American? " I simply replied.. "No Ma'am I'm not." It took me by surprise that was the only time someone actually asked me verse speculating. Its such a hard place to be in.:)

    ReplyDelete