Sunday, October 23, 2011

Que Rico...






Hello!

I've been spending most of my off time flipping between food network and HGTV. Watching the chefs cook some amazing meals has gotten me energize to cook more. (My hubby likes my new found energy). Its a chance to be creative with types of flavors and seasonings. Growing up the only real spices we used were.....


  • Garlic Powder
  • Cumin
  • Onion Powder
  • Lemon-Pepper-- Once in a blue moon.

That was it!! Now as I've gotten older I find myself still using these same staples in all food I cook... 

My topic of the day is watered-down food.... 

What does this mean? Well, the hubs and I eating dinner one night, his fave  meal spaghetti. 

(I grew up eating "American Food" Hamburger, Hotdogs, Spaghetti, and Chinese Food. It was awesome some of my favorite meals my mom cooked were not Mexican dishes. 
PS My mom makes the BEST HAMBURGERS on the PLANET!!! ) 

Well I looked at him and said I am tired of ALWAYS  making YOUR FOOD! I'm going to start cooking MY food too! The only Mexican food I cooked was tacos. I love tacos. They are a quick and simple thing to cook. I was tired of just making tacos, I wanted to make enchiladas, chalupas, fajitas, tacos al cabon, and carne picada, which is one of my faves.) I was always afraid of cooking these foods because I wasn't sure if he would like them. I started off slow with fajitas... HE LOVED THEM! I then introduced enchiladas... He liked those. Over time I started cooking what he liked and what I liked. I was so afraid of cooking things that were very comfortable to me and shared what I grew up eating. 

Its awesome to see that he likes the what I've cooked, or just doesn't have the heart to tell me he hates it.. Whatever the case maybe its a great feeling!! 

Picture Provided by: http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/08/27/Cinco_Enchiladas_e_s4x3.jpg




No comments:

Post a Comment