Friday, October 21, 2011

Disconnect





Hello!!

Its been a while since I've blogged. School has been occupying most of my time. Its like I come home only to eat and sleep to be back up and doing it all over again. I love being busy and the hours of driving I'm doing allows me some times to think and reflect on life.


 While I was home, I had an interesting convo with my little brother. He is a 16 years old high school student. He plays football, baseball, and does shot put and discus in track. He is in the marching band and is in the process of learning a second instrument. He is very intelligent and is in all Advanced classes. Can we say.. NERD ALERT!!! 


We had a chance to catch up. The convo started when he told me, "Rosie... I want to move in with you and Will." I then followed up with.. "Why?" He went on to explain to me how he feels different from the family. All they care about is how well he is doing in sports, but when it comes to band or school it really doesn't matter. I told him I know exactly how he felt. I was always a nerdy kid. I'd rather be inside reading a book or watching TV than outside playing sports or in the dirt. I've always prided myself on doing well in academics!! As we were talking I thought WOW maybe this little boy who got on my nerves as a child is more like me than I originally thought!! Maybe I'm not so WEIRD after ALL!!


I felt different around my family this time around. I'm not sure if its because I'm educating myself or its that I'm becoming more aware of my surroundings, since I'm in a Social Work Program. When I first started writing this blog I thought that school was driving a wedge between myself and my family. I still think this has some validity. Could it be rather than just staying in my own cultural box, the more education I  attain the more I broaden my horizons and start embracing other boxes, so eventually I become one HUGE BRIGHTLY COLORED BOX?




Any Thoughts??????  Have you EVER felt a little bright in YOUR family?


Picture Provided by: http://sophiesfavors.com/giftboxes_2pc-Brown-Dots-Stripes_BB_41479_300x300.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment