Monday, January 3, 2011

Trying this out...

Hello!! 

Let me introduce my self....

My name is Rosie and I'm originally from Bryan, TX. I'm a recent graduate of Valdosta State University in Valdosta, GA with my B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology. I am currently working on my Master's in Social Work at Valdosta State University. I live with my fiance and two wonderful puppies (Taylor and Reagan). I am have a graduate assistantship as the Managing Editor of a a journal titled Teaching Sociology. I love my job!!


My father is an immigrant from Mexico. He came here in his early twenties. He was able to pull himself up by learning to pour concrete, and eventually started his own business. My mother is a third generation American. She did not learn Spanish until adulthood. My parents divorced when I was a child and I lived with my mom and did not learn Spanish until I took it in Middle School, High School, and College. (On a side note-- I always find it interesting that people assume you speak Spanish because you are Hispanic!! "No intende"). My grandparents didn't speak Spanish to me but they spoke it to each other.


Why did I decide to do this?

I decided to start blogging about what it's like to be a Hispanic woman in America. I hope that people will be able to relate and also possibly see what is is like to be Hispanic in America. Have you seen the movie Selena? Her father gives us a great quote that sums up how I feel, and I think that most people feel when thinking about being Hispanic in America. "We have to be more Mexican than the Mexicans and more American than the Americans, both at the same time! It's exhausting! No one knows how tough it is to be a Mexican-American. " 

FeedBack

I hope you enjoyed reading this and please comment and give me feedback on your own experiences and insights! I'd love to hear them!! 

Take Care and God Bless!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment