Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hermanas/Sisters

OH MY GOODNESS! Has this been a week! I posted earlier this week about having a stressful week and let me tell you it has been ROUGH! I moved 45 minutes away from school, so now I'm having to commute and I'm still trying to adjust having to leave 40 minutes earlier than I am used to. I lived 5 minutes from campus previously... The things we do for LOVE!My middle sister celebrated her birthday earlier this week ( LOVE YOU DREA!) and I called her to wish her a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I miss my sisters so much. She just turned 20 which means I'm turning 27 this year.. YIKES!!! My baby sister is just 15 years old.


After I called her I started thinking about sisterhood, sisters do not have to be blood relatives, they can also be best friends. I was taught growing up that your family is everything, you sacrifice everything for your family and I hold this to be true for my sisters. Since I am the oldest, I definitely feel this need to protect them. When I was younger, my mom was diagnosed with a Hyperactive Thyroid and so she would come home and just fall asleep. Since I was the oldest, became my duty to take charge and make sure that my sisters and brother were fed, bathed and ready for bed. My summers were dedicated to babysitting my siblings.


I adapted to this role, very easily considering the age difference between us. I did these tasks, with no argument, as I knew that I had to help my mom and so I did it because you do what you have to do to help your family. By my watching my younger siblings I would save my parents money so they didn't have to pay a babysitter. Sometimes it wasn't the most fun, because I would get invited to go with friends to the mall or the movies during the day and I couldn't go because I had to watch my siblings. Looking back at this time in my life I appreciate doing that for my family because it taught me responsibility and also I was able to develop a relationship with my them.


I went home this past Christmas Holiday and my baby sister and brother were home from school, and it was funny to see me jump back into the role of the "Older Sister". We were straightening up the house and I was dictating to them what to do and my brother told me "Why is it that you come home and start telling us what to do..." It was as if I just slipped back into my role as big sis!


I miss them soo much and am sooo thankful for my 2 sisters--Andrea and Adrianna and for my brother-- Anthony too!


Take Care and Until Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment