Tuesday, February 8, 2011

OMG I'm marrying a WHITE GUY!



I know the title is not very PC. Many people don't think about what happens if you marry an "outsider" I grew up very culturally diverse (I tried to be at least) and even though historically Hispanics are considered White, doesn't mean we are the same. There are two different cultures. Hispanic versus White. When you combine the two, its Magical.... lets hope! After I met my Will, I was so happy and in love then it HIT ME! OMG!! Our kids are going to be Half White and Half Mexican. I didn't think anything negative, but it was like a realization, they aren't going to be my entire ethnic composition. Please do not think this is a bad thing, because its not. It was just that reality set in. I guess I assumed, before my realization, that our kids would be brown, like me. Well they may end up being a lighter brown closer to White. Not only am I talking about our children's appearance, I am also talking about how we are going to raise them. Lets be honest Will and I were raised quite differently. When you raise children, you tend to incorporate some of what you were taught into raising them.




Chemistry-- Mixing two chemicals may lead to an EXPLOSION!!

I grew up fairly Americanized, aka White, and I didn't think much about Will's skin color when we met. But as we started to grow as a couple, I started to realize that our perspectives on things are very different. Even though I moved away from my family, I told Will I wanted to move closer to them. He kept telling me, well it all depends on where I get a job at. I was adamant about moving home. His view on family is that you leave them and do your own thing. My view is you stay close so you are able to be near them and visit. So that was an explosion. Over time I think he is starting to see where I am coming from. This was one of the most major explosions/realizations I've had about marrying a white guy. I'm sure there are more to come, but for now that's it.

Happy Tuesday!!

Pictures Provided By:

http://www.marieclaire.com/cm/marieclaire/images/nerdy-guy-lg-63034852.jpg
http://www.newsgroper.com/files/legacy/nuclear-explosion.jpg

6 comments:

  1. I know that you mean about being close to family and home.
    My family is really big on being together and depending on each other. Maybe its a spanish thing? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already tell I'm going to love your blog and be visiting often. I'm caucasion and married to a mexican..... similar situation, just reversed. LOL Great post! Hope u will visit my blog sometime....
    http://meandthemexican.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tara! I will definitely check yours out as well.

    Take Care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm marrying a white guy too! I know what you mean about growing up differently and thinking about the differences. I have been thinking lately about saying goodbye to my Mexican last name and adapting a very non-latin name. I've even wondered if it would affect my future kids getting scholarships! Silly I know, but it's things you do think about when you are merging two different cultures.
    Great blog you have here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura!

    Thanks for your kind comments. I agree it is going to be hard to give up apart of yourself. I joke and saw that the moment I fear most is when I go to the doctors office and they call for Mrs. Flanders and a Mexican woman stands up! Ha Ha!!

    I understand your reservations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ur post! I'm not marrying a white Guy but I really like one he has invited me to watch a movie n hang out twice..he is very respectfully n sweet, very different from Hispanics, I've always been attracted to white man but never dated one, only Hispanics n the truth haven't had good luck. Idk what to think of this frieendship, like I said I like him, just not sure if he does..idk what they like or dislike, what is more important to them in life, love or what would my parents say that I'm dating a Hispanic. I really like the way he is n I love spending time with him.

    ReplyDelete